The Health-Safety-Risk Management Service provides training,
consultation services, technical assistance and leadership to help
schools create and maintain an educational environment that is a
model for workplace safety and best practices. Our staff is
specially trained to help superintendents, building principals,
school nurses, classroom teachers and facilities staff develop
proactive approaches to health and safety.
We work directly with school districts to handle matters of
compliance with regulatory agencies requirements; and develop a
comprehensive school safety program that minimizes hazards and
unsafe practices and is integrated with their daily operations.
The Health, Safety and Risk Management staff provides direct
assistance to schools including:
- Regulatory inspection walk-throughs with Department of
Health, Department of Labor, Department of Environmental
- Mandated trainings tailored to district needs; online or
in-person for small and large groups.
- Annual review and update of written programs.
- Compliance with new regulations.
- AHERA compliance, asbestos audit preparation, asbestos
inspections and management plan review.
- Identification of safe and cost-effective chemical disposal
- RESCUE (Rebuilding Our Schools to Uphold Education)
including work with safety committees, five-year building
condition survey, annual visual inspection (AVI), and SED
- Fire safety inspections.
- Indoor air quality on-site evaluation and follow-up.
- Conduct and/or arrange with appropriate certified
professionals to conduct sampling for air and surface
(asbestos, lead, PCBs, radon and more); water (bacterial,
chemical, metals, etc.); and soil (pesticides, lead, radon)
Participating districts also receive newsletters and workshop
opportunities that keep their staff informed about important and
emerging school related health, safety and risk management issues
Range of Services Offered - programs and assistance are
available in the following areas:
- AED (Defibrillator) Compliance & Coordination of Training
- Art, Science, and Technology Classroom Safety
- Asbestos and AHERA
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Chemical Safety and Disposal
- Emergency Management Plans, Training and Drills
- Fire and Building Code Compliance
- Lead Poisoning Prevention and Compliance
- NYS Pollutant Discharge Elimination (SPDES)
- OSHA/PESH Compliance
- Pesticide Use and Notifications
- Petroleum Bulk Storage Tanks
- Playground Safety Inspections and Training
- RESCUE Compliance
- Respirator Use and Training
- Right-to-Know/Hazard Communication
- Safety Committees
- Transportation Safety
- Water Quality